Monday, July 20, 2009

Stuff makes me happy

It happened so conveniently. Americans move home, leaving things they no longer need, I pay them for these things, and wah-la, we now have an *awesome* apartment!
Sort of by happenstance, I met Mark and Nikki on a meet up group for Expats. The sad thing was that I met them at the tail end of their Aussie stint. I spent their last day with them out and about it Melbourne. They are great people, so much fun!
Anyway, for a small investment, I practically got a complete kitchen, minus the major appliances, and all of the creature comforts girls like and boys don't care about!
I love throw pillows for the couch! Every sofa should have them. And a blanky. Every couch should have a blanky! Lamps, geez, you totally need a lamp or two. Let's not forget the vacuum! I don't love to vacuum, but I love the outcome. They were getting rid of everything that I couldn't easily find it the thrift stores. It was brilliant.
I spent all day Thursday unpacking bags of the stuff and putting it in it's new home. It felt like Christmas!
Last week was a great example of "if you're patient, you just might get what you want"...After the stuff arrived on Wednesday, Jim later scored a rolling car with shelves out by our rubbish area. It wasn't in the garbage, just rolled next to it; great condition and free. Exactly what we needed too, along with all the other stuff. There's no place like (Australian) home.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lis - Like your new "stuff." I totally understand about the "blanky."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you could take all of our crap! How did Jim like the free roll-on I threw in? Love the picture with our old lamps, Australia book, "blanky", and pillows! Making us miss our (Australian) home

    ReplyDelete