Sunday, January 10, 2010

Not in their DNA

Today, following a delicious breakfast, I did a little primping before my yoga class at the gym. Nothing special, just deodorant, moisturizer and mascara. After the class, Jim and I went to the beach. We swam in the ocean and basked in the sun (with SPF). On our way back to the train station, we stopped at a cafe. A casual friend, from my catering job, happened to be working there. I had a brief conversation with her about NYE plans. We sat and waited for the coffee. Once it was ready, I said bye to the friend and we rode the train for 20 minutes to our stop. We walked in the door at home and Jim suggested I make an early dinner; we were both starving. I prepped the meal (mini pizzas made with english muffins and side salad) and put it in the oven. Having a free moment, I went in the bathroom. Glancing in the mirror, I was horrified to see that the normal "dim" circles under my eyes looked more black paint smears. I thought, WTF? Then remembered the mascara...and the swimming. And the convo I had with my friend. I had a baseball cap on and it was dark in the cafe, but I was still conversing with her with like 18" between us. Sigh. She probably thinks I'm abused.
I tidied up the situation and went on with my dinner business. Later, after showering, the remainder of the mascara was deposited in the same location. I went out to Jim and explained all the things we had done during the day with my eyes looking like this. I asked, "didn't you notice?" He replied, "you had sunglasses on." "Not the whole time," I retorted. I got inches from his face, and asked, "is this something you would notice?" For effect, I was eying ceiling and pointing with my finger. To this he replied, "probably not."

1 comment: