Sunday, January 24, 2010

36hrs

After 6 months of being in Oz, we finally had our first visitors arrive safe and sound at mid-day on Saturday! With ease in our hired car, we whisked Kay and Pat (mom & aunt) from the passenger pick-up at the Melbourne Airport. The Ladies must have had that "vacation high" going on, as they were jovial and high spirited even after flying 15hrs, sleeping very little and having minor connection/luggage drama. I was impressed.
Jim, Mom, Aunt Pat and I all returned back to our one bedroom palace. They got settled in a bit. And when I say "settled in," I mean they unloaded about 10kg (25lbs) of candy, baked goods and general naughtiness our of their suitcases (Thank you Mary Pat!). While I silently studied the 5lbs I would gain during their visit, Jim and I discuss aloud the miraculous feat that just occurred. How did they get all this home-packaged food into the country? Including nuts?! SO MUCH STUFF! A few months back, Jim had brought over some freeze dried camp dinners. The customs lady held him up for 10min reading all the ingredients of the sealed bag. If you even have an apple, they tell you not to bother and just throw it away. Again, I'm impressed.
After the the unloading, we made a grocery list and headed out. We took full advantage of our car, filling up our little hatch back with goodies from the farmers market, super market and liquor store. If you're gonna play some cards, ya gotta stay properly nourished. That, and Jim and I drink soy, not cow milk.
Later, we had an engagement celebration dinner at Little India. This was Kay and Pat's first Indian food experience. They handled it like pros.
Unfortunately, (and fortunately) this was Jim's only time to spend with us all. He is visiting Texas and Colorado during the duration of The Ladies' trip. The only really beneficial thing of his absence is the extra space that his body won't occupy in the house.
Sunday morning, I chauffeured Jim to the airport, returned the rental car and headed to yoga class. Whilst I did these things, The Ladies attended mass at a church in the neighborhood. I gave them a map and the "sneaky way" directions. They were able to navigate the hood quite well.
I returned home to find them sitting on a wall inside of our locked gate, but not in the apartment. Hmmm. I had left them a spare set of keys. What I hadn't done is told them that the door locks by itself, like a hotel door, and there is no need to turn the lock on the handle lock. I know this, but for me leaving the house is a reflex. I just don't think about it. We don't have a key for this second lock.
When they left for church, Mom wasn't sure, so turned the handle lock (just like at home in MI) and found out later that the key didn't work. Luckily, the kitchen window was open, so I only had to acrobat in through it to get us all in the house. Prior to my arrival, they had planned that I would be able to do this. Good thing I could deliver.
Following that adventure, the rest of the day was low key; with naps, reading, a movie and dinner. The Ladies were coming down from their high and we all enjoyed a rest day.
Tomorrow, we might tackle the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment