Monday, March 22, 2010

New Zealand, Arrival

We just had the pleasure of spending 6 days on the south island of New Zealand. 2 days were travel days and 4 days were hiking the Milford Track. This year has definitely been an experience and I am thankful for every minute of it.

New Zealand, south island, from the air. For real, this body of water (I think Lake Waitaki) and several surrounding it are turquoise.
We arrived Queenstown, NZ at 3pm on Monday. Surprisingly, it looks like Colorado. I love mountains!
Our hotel is on Marine Parade in Queenstown. The end of the street runs into this:
Mountains AND water...it really doesn't get any better.

Queenstown is small. Tiny even. The town isn't even a grid, as the there are only 2 main streets with 4 or so perpendicular streets between. These streets house the restaurants, shops and adventure tours. They are only one block long. It felt like Beaver Creek, CO or some similar small and upscale ski town.



1 comment:

  1. my parents just moved to NZ for 7 months, they are on the North island, but I can't wait to read about your travels there! Went to have my taxes done and Dean was talking about you, then I said, Wait a minute...I KNOW her! :)

    ReplyDelete