Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Like someone I already know

Have you ever have this feeling...the one where you see someone and they remind you of someone else; someone who is already in your life?
It's so strange when this happens. Sometimes it's good. You meet the person and they have similar traits to another one of your friends. This happened when I arrived in AU. My new friend Melissa says some things quite similar to my friend Rosemary. They remind me of each other. Maybe that helped Melissa and I become friends faster, as if we already had something in common. Or my mind might have just likened it that way.
When Nan and I went on our wine tour, there was a gentleman in his mid to late 50's, (I was going to say "older" gentleman, but 50 hardly seems older now. Older is 70.) who joined our group a little late. He had taken a hot air balloon ride early in the morning and met up with our group at our first vineyard site. At first he totally creeped me out. Everyone in the group was a couple and he was the only solo person. He kept trying to talk to me but he had a "stare-y" type demeanor. Like when someone looks you in the eyes TOO much while standing way TOO close to you; a total space invader. Of course he sat next to me at lunch.
It would have been harder to avoid him, and I hate being an intentional bitch, so I sucked it up and started a conversation with him. Elgin is from Vancouver. He is here setting his daughter up for a semester abroad in Adelaide. He is traveling all over AU for 3-4 weeks. He goes on wine tours in every city he visits.
Once Elgin got some attention, he became less creepy. He started being amazingly sarcastic and making, sometimes inappropriately forthright, interjections in people's conversations. (It takes one to know one, right?) He totally called out the tiny Indian woman who had only had one glass of wine at the 2 vineyards we had been to. I thought she was a lightweight, as she was half my size. But she confessed to this complete stranger that she was instead, pregnant. He started to amuse me.
Beyond all this, when I first saw him, he looked like someone to me. Some one familiar...who? I might have thought this all along, but it wasn't until he said "Holy Mackerel!" that I could see him as a slightly younger version of my Uncle Charlie. Now, my Uncle DOESN'T in any way creep me out. He is a very kind and polite man. And not irritating in the slightest. But the similarities in there speech patterns and facial resemblance was uncanny. See...

Elgin from Vancouver vs. Uncle Charlie from Michigan

1 comment: