Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In too deep

Tim Tam is a cute black chihuahua that resides near the lakeside in Chicago. That was my first experience with a Tim Tam. I met him, and his owner, right before I moved to Melbourne. She had spent a semester or two in Australia and loved the chocolate covered biscuit cookies. She loved them so much, that is what she named her dog. The cookies are good, I get it. But Tim Tam is a weird name and c'mon, how good can these cookies be?
I bought my first package of Tim Tams at the 7-11 (yes, amazing to have those here, slurpees and all!) at the corner of Bourke and Spencer, right near Southern Cross Station in the city. I had been here about a month. We were outside the store and I asked Jim if he had tried them already. He said yes, and that they were okay.
If I knew then what I know now, I shouldn't have gone into the 7-11. We have been on Tim Tams for the last 6 weeks. Within 2 weeks after purchasing regular Tim Tams, we had dabbled in the all the other varieties; Chewy Centered Caramel, Dark Chocolate and Choc-Hazelnut. We were most delighted (understatement) with the Double Coat. You can not believe how much better a second layer of chocolate can be! The Double Coat is simply the way to go.
Let's pause here and I will describe the heaven that is a Tim Tam so you can better appreciate our "situation". One rectangular chocolate cookie-biscuit on the bottom, middle layer of creamy light, whipped chocolate love, and another chocolate biscuit on top. Dip the entire cookie sandwich in milk chocolate (in our case twice) and you have a Tim Tam.
Needless to say, Tim Tams are no longer allowed in the house Monday through Friday. Jim thought the refrigerator would be a good deterrent; having to let them sit out to warm. I saw past the temperature.
We looked forward to weekends. Weekends were free. No work, no gym, freedom to enjoy Tim Tams. Tim Tams were like a band-aid. If our weekend outing didn't pan out or started to be less than satisfying, Tim Tams bridged the gap. We always keep a pack on hand on weekends. It's safer that way, like a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
Seriously, you have never seen two people eat 9 cookies faster than Jim and I. We see one 9-biscuit pack of Tim Tams as a serving. (Note: Regular Tim Tams packages contain 11 biscuits, Double Coat packs have 9 to allow for thicker chocolate.)
On a recent trip, the Tim Tams were in the front window of the car. The day was sunny so the cookies got a bit warm. Oh. My. God. Melty and delicious. We just took it to the next level. Bring on summer! I can't wait for Tim Tams at the beach!
If you're lucky, you will get a package for Christmas :)

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I want to try every kind they make! May just have to come visit you! (crossing fingers that you'll be there longer than we're here in Costa Rica) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Nikki your post and she was frothing at the mouth. I think I put a similar post about my dear, dear love of meat pies!

    ReplyDelete