Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The good, the bad and the ugly

I've been thinking about this blog. I've been thinking about it a lot. I've been considering just how much I want to share. There are a lot of feelings and thoughts going through my crazy head. Do I only share the fun sights, the joys of being jobless? Do I tell you how hard some days are? Eh, what do I have to lose? Here we go...
Isolation:
Most days are pretty good here. The days are good depending on how I decide to treat myself. This is something I have learned. Each day is exactly what I will make of it. I am my own best friend here. That is just the way it is. There is a lot of isolation. Imagine only hearing your phone ring 10 times in 30 days. Really, imagine only hearing your phone ring 10 times in 30 days. You probably can't. First, imagine your phone not ringing for a day, three days, a week. Imagine when you hear a noise coming from your jacket laying on the couch and not knowing what it is. Then, "Oh fuck, it's the cell phone." The phone rings SO infrequently, that you forget what the jingle sounds like. I fumble around looking for it somewhere in the 4 jacket pockets and end up missing the call.
Fabian, the front desk clerk at the gym, doesn't know he's my best friend. That I actually look forward to hearing all about his Personal Training class homework that he lost on the computer and it took 6hrs to redo or the boring weekend he had or how he would rather be poor in Miami with the hot sunny days, than poor in a place with crappy weather. Some days, he is enlightening. I enjoy these seemingly one sided chats.
Sure, there is Jim, and thank the universe for that. We get along amazingly. For real. We might as well start our own language, like twins, we spend so much time together.

So the isolation is temporary. It's something you get used to. I made the decision to come here. And more days than not, it IS the best thing ever.

3 comments:

  1. I shed a tear, BUT you have so many positive attributes... smart, caring, beauty, willing to share, gift of gab and made so many friends wherever you have gone that I know you will shine in Australia too! Your best friend is with you. Be positive. Love U

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days. Remember Skype, Facebook, and most of all get out and do stuff. Go to expat meetings and couchsurfing events (most are losers, but some are fun). Like you said, the day is what you make it!

    ReplyDelete