Thursday, November 12, 2009

Jobbie Job

In lieu of all that is going on economically, I am pleased to have some paying work to do. There are cafes, but where I have enquired, you need to know how to make espresso based coffee and unfortunately, I am not a barista. Also, with our scheduled holidays, finding a "real job" could be difficult. Luckily, a friend turned me on to a catering company that she had worked for in the past (thanks Melanie!). To date, I have worked four 8-hours shifts and seen some pretty amazing things.

My first shift was on a boat (but the captain prefers ship) serving finger food to drunk first and second year uni (college) student. That may sound appalling, but it was actually quite fun. We cruised around the bay. The sunset was gorgeous and the skyline of Melbourne was beautiful. I completely developed a new appreciation for city life and especially that of one on the ocean. I will work on the boat again soon and post some pics.

Recently, there was Tongan/Samoan wedding at The Dome. The Dome itself is a historic building in the heart of central Melbourne that was constructed during the land boom of the 1890's. A modern office building was erected around the site and The Dome now serves as a grand entrance and foyer. It reminds me of the interior of some state capital buildings I have visited. The floor is an impressive and elaborate tile mosaic. There are granite columns with arches that draw the eye up toward another level with balconies. Above that is an ornate criss-cross of arches embellished with gold. Ultimately your eye reaches the top, where the ceiling extends up into an octagon of windows.

There have been two sit down, plated, business dinners. Both were fabulous. The one last night featured an Aussie comedian, Julia Morris. How great is that? The wait staff got to watch her act. She is quite funny.

I LOVE my friendly coworkers, the work is fairly easy, the food is delicious, I am paid well and the venues are fabulous. All of that makes up for my sore feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment